Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago...

Ten years ago today I was just starting my freshman year of college at USI. It was a Tuesday, I was new. I walked into my nursing lecture normal. But, walked out changed. When I came out of the classroom (just minutes after the first plane crashed), I found piles of students around tv carts in the hall. I didn't understand why the tvs were there or why people were sobbing.


I hurried my walk home and turned on my tv. I couldn't turn my head. I couldn't blink my eyes as tears streamed down my face. I couldn't believe I watching a real life horror film... fathers, mothers, daughters, brothers, friends trapped, knowing they will not get out alive. I literally fell on my knees praying aloud inches away from the screen in disbelief.


I felt sick as the news coverage panned to other attacks... the pentagon, the field (meant for the white house), then the 2nd plane smashed into the tower live. live.


This was life for so many people. Someone was taking a vacation or coming home from a business trip caught in chaos thousands of miles in the air. Someone was going to a job interview or dropping off their children in daycare while they went to their 9 to 5. So many people not realizing God was calling them to be a hero or it was thier turn to go home. It was also that day that reaffirmed nursing was the right profession for me.


Its still hard to swallow when I think about the emotions of that day for me. Watching the images of the plane, the soot covered firemen/policemen risking everything, the normal joes pulling strangers from wreckage, the people jumping from the building in desperation. But, I watching from the background. I can't image the nightmares of the victims, those who lost loved ones, citizens of New York.


Thank you to all who risked your lives to help others.

9/11/01 will forever be etched in our memories. I pray we can be one nation under GOD and never forget...

1 comment:

Chelsa said...

your post gave me goose bumps! all so true.