Sunday, May 2, 2010

Temple Under Construction

We've all heard the phrase "your body is a temple". Lately, I don't feel like that is true for me. If you know where the phrase originates- I may be in trouble!

We had a great sermon today about taking care of our bodies to honor the Lord. Duh- why have I not thought of this before. Most days I wake up feeling unhappy with this part, etc. Not once have I stopped to think how He feels about the job I am doing to care for myself. After all.. He made me!

"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful. I know that full well."
Psalm 139 13-14

That passage has always been one of my favorites. I read it often as I carried both of my girls during pregnancy. I found in comforting that God knew every inch of them intirely and nothing would be left out. But, why can't I think of myself that way? We all came in the same way... naked. :) Had to throw it in.

But really. I was fearfully and wonderfully made. Though years have past and things have changed. I should still value my body and my health because He cared so much to create it.

Jeff and I often have conversations of how to improve upon ourselves, our health, our lifestyle. We reminisce of his glory days of pole vaulting and being all muscle-ly (ok-that part is me). I haven't taken time consistantly since getting pregnant with Ayla to care for myself. Why not? It seems easy. I feel better, look better, and have more confidence when I do do it. More importantly I will be taking care of the temple God created for me.

Obviously, this is going somewhere right? Well, I just wanted to get it all down. Typing helps me sift through my feelings. Maybe it will help hold me accountable? But, I hope to embark on keeping exercise a norm in my life. I want my girls to know how important it is. My blog pal Leah is currently taking on some big steps too. I am so proud of her. Its hard to lay it all out there. Maybe by reading through this you will dust the temple every once in a while. Maybe hang some new curtains?

4 comments:

Brookeanne said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Leah Robinson said...

Awesome Court! That's a great way to put it! If I can do other things for Christ, why can't I take care of the body he has given me!

Chelsa said...

great perspective! thanks for sharing :)

Tera said...

Ugh! Last year after my Gramps died, I was very inspired to work out and take care of these poor-cardiac genes I inherited, but I've honestly only "exercised" probably 4 times since Jan. 1. I really need to get focused again.